From: Laurel Moss
You also was with Shel Silverstein inmy house, he and you playing on the old
upright while I
stood in the kitchen eavesdropping and doing the dishes forever. 'Member?
Dear Laurel...I want to remember but more than that I want it to be true
but being as you're 82 and I'm 71 I want ROMANCE..I call it RAWmance and I say "put out" before you croak...save your precious letter of memory to publish...set up a little publishing company ..call it MOSSFITS PUB. for the IN groupings...and MASSFITS for the general public...did you ever get the cartoons and the cd of that radio show on KMFB? Save that one...listen to the part where I mention Evalina and you can hear Marco McLean say, "You know Evalina?" And I say,"You mean YOU know Evalina?" And Marco says, "KNOW HER? She's my MOM !!!" Did you hear that the economy is in such bad shape jewish girls are marrying for love insteadof money?
On Sat, Nov 22, 2008 at 9:31 AM, biff rose
> Rhe WWW Theatre presents..."Today Kennedy is re-lived and
read-ed""
>
> Nov.22nd...that Last Tango in Dallas....you'd have to be around 55
to
> remember it...
> ah reckon...ah was 25 sitting in a near north side Chicago
> restaurant...perofrming each night at the Crystal Pistol right next door
to
> Old Town North...up where Wells runs into Lincoln...
> Old Town.
> Everything closed in Chicago that night except for the Crystal Pistol.
It
> seated 250. There were 8 people at 3 tables close to the stage.I started
out
> doing a poem by Joseph Newman,Paul Newman's uncle..."The
Deacon".
> Her lips were red and her skin was white...and she said to the Deacon
> "Hold me tight...ain't ever you goin' to see the light? Th
Deacon rose and
> answered "Nay...what do you think the Lord would say?"
> The Deacon...worthy man of God...lay freshly buried in the sod...his
soul
> now free at last to rise to the fair kingdom in the skies...yet hovered
for
> a moment more above his earthly clay before he sought admission at the
> door...
> "At least I knew" he mused content," how little carnal
pleasures
> meant...the body that was mine in life I never gave to wench or wife..my
> flesh as pure is as my soul...I'm fit to enter Heaven whole...!"
> The Deacon perched a moment yet above his coffin cold and wet...through
> which though hid from mortal view ...he scanned his earthly residue...
>
> (the poem went on another ten minutes...AGONIZING.. for the people and
me
> who had just heard the President was dead...he had been assisanted five
> hours earlier..his soul now free at last to rise....I couldn't get out
of
> the poem and didn't know why I got into it to begin with...but
it's
> funny...the poem is...the assasination not real funny.......) The eight
> people in the Crystal Pistol just stared into cold blank space...frozen in
> place...their hands were reluctant to clap real sincerely at the end of
the
> performance....
> Warmer memories are retained from an earlier gig at Old Town North next
> door. Shel Silverstein came in. Stood in the back. I was in awe up
onstage.
> He was a hero. I read news clippings from the Sun-Times...He walked out.
We
> met a few times after that...a few years later...after I was on Carson ( a
> famous TV Performer in the 20th century...I say anybody who didn't do
at
> least a year ...twelve times...on the Tonight Show is a Johnny Carson come
> lately....)...
> Once in New Orleans Shel Silverstein and I went on an air boat ride in
> the bayou. Shel said, "Ya know...the first time I saw you...it was
someplace
> in Chicago...you were reading from a newspaper....I thought,"Aw
no...you
> can't do that....but later I thought...ya know.that's pretty
hip...reading
> articles from the paper and making comments...and stuff..."
> Her lips were red and her skin was white..and she said as the Deacon
held
> her tight....perhaps it's time I was on my way..." He drew her
closer and
> whispered ,"NAY! What do you think the Lord would say?"
> Death seems more a friend to me now..now that all my friends are dead.
>
No comments:
Post a Comment